I give talks and workshops for university, religious, and community groups about my areas of expertise: work, burnout, theology, teaching, and writing. Get in touch with me, and we can figure out the best way I can meet your group’s needs.
- “When Your Job Harms Your Soul: The Broken Spiritual Promise of the American Work Ethic,” Abilene Christian University Summit, September 17, 2019 (lecture & panel).
- University of Texas at Arlington Hermanns Lecture Series, October 4, 2019 (lecture).
- “Søren Kierkegaard: Aesthetics, Ethics, and Religion,” Dallas Institute for Humanities and Culture,” Spring 2020 (class).
- “‘You Get Over It’: How the Benedictine Way of Work Can Overcome the Culture of Burnout,” Catholic Theological Society of America Convention, June 11-14, 2020 (paper).
- “The Religious Roots of Why You’re So Busy,” Cutler Scholars Program, Ohio University, April 22, 2019 (seminar).
- “Burnout and the Academic Vocation,” Adams Center for Teaching and Learning, Abilene Christian University, February 25, 2019 (presentation).
- “Burnout and the Academic Vocation,” Abilene Christian University – Dallas faculty retreat, August 22, 2018 (workshop).
- “Nothing Should Be Preferred to the Work of God: Cultivating Monastic Detachment for a Postindustrial Work Ethic,” University of Portland, March 3, 2014 (lecture).
- “A Catholic Case against MOOCs: Social Ethics, Care for the Person, and Online Education,” Hersher Institute for Applied Ethics, Sacred Heart University, January 27, 2014 (lecture).
- “Why Do You Do What You Do? Academic Jobs, Careers, Vocations, and Lives,” King’s College Faculty Development Day, January 10, 2014 (workshop).
- “Dispatches from the First Year and Beyond,” Lilly-East Conference on College and University Teaching, University of Delaware, April 16, 2009 (keynote lecture).
- LitNight Dallas, August 13, 2019 (reading).
- “Writing Opinion Essays,” Writing Workshops Dallas, March 31, 2019 (workshop).
- “Augustine’s Confessions: A Narrative of Desire,” Dallas Institute for Humanities and Culture,” Fall 2018 (class).
- “Why Work?” Dallas Institute for Humanities and Culture, Fall 2017 (class).
- “Why You Hate Your Job,” Dallas Institute for Humanities and Culture, February 13, 2017 (lecture).
- “The Incarnation,” Texas Youth Academy, Texas Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, June 20, 2019 (class).
- “Images of Mary in Art,” Holy Trinity Catholic Church, May 21, 2019 (presentation).
- “Burnout and the Pastoral Vocation,” Pastoral Residency Program, Wilshire Baptist Church, April 10, 2019 (seminar).
- “Images of Christ in Art,” Holy Trinity Catholic Church, October 16, 2018 (presentation).
- “Theology of Work,” Pastoral Residency Program, Wilshire Baptist Church, September 5, 2018 (seminar).